There are two great things about luxury hot chocolate. The taste and how easy it is to make at home. Which is surprising to some people. We all know how wonderful luxury hot chocolate tastes but who knew it was so easy to make in your own kitchen?
In fact it’s so easy to make that spooning instant chocolate powder into a cup and pouring on boiling water will soon be a thing of the past.
I know what you’re thinking. Is it really that easy?
Yes, it really is. And all you’ll need is some cooking chocolate and a little whole milk.
And a milk frother of course.
We take you through the process in the video below.
To sum up.
The easy way to make hot chocolate with a milk frother
- You’ll need 3 pieces of cooking chocolate, 200ml of whole milk, teaspoon of sugar (optional)
- Pour milk into a microwave proof jug or cup.
- Add the chocolate pieces.
- Put the jug into the microwave for 50-100 seconds to heat the milk and melt the chocolate. Be careful not to burn it.
- When hot remove the mixture from the microwave.
- Add sugar if desired. You don’t have to do this, the mixture will be sweet anyway.
- Now start frothing. Make sure you put the milk frother in the liquid before you switch it on and make sure you turn it off before you take it out.
- It’ll only take 30-seconds to froth the mixture.
- Pour your hot chocolate into a glass or cup and enjoy.
There you go – luxury hot chocolate in less than two minutes.
I told you it was easy.
What I didn’t mention is how cheap this is.
The supermarket brand cooking chocolate I used cost £1. It has 24 pieces which means it can make 8 cups of frothy hot chocolate. Add a few pence for the milk and you’re looking at a cost of around 32p (45 cents) per cup.
So it’s around 10 times cheaper to make your own hot chocolate at home than it is to buy one in Starbucks. You really can’t get much better value than that. And your homemade version will taste better than the coffee shops brew. I guarantee it.
Feel free to experiment
I used supermarket brand cooking chocolate. It was delicious. But you can experiment. There are some very luxurious bars of cooking chocolate you can buy from high end retailers. Or you can use any brand of dark chocolate you wish.
Heck, feel free to experiment with any type of choccy. But believe me you will get the best results from cooking chocolate.
A word about the milk
For maximum froth use whole milk. It foams much better than other types and is perfect for hot chocolate.
You can of course use other types of milk but you won’t get the same quality of foam. If you’re vegan you should use barista blend plant based milks. You can read more about those milks here.
The milk frother
The frother we used in the video is the Zulay Milk Boss. It’s super easy to use and is a very powerful frother. You can buy your own for well under £20.
You can learn more about this fantastic little frother by reading our in-depth Milk Boss review.
Alternatively check its latest price on Amazon.
The final word
We’ve outlined a really easy way to make hot chocolate with a milk frother. Have a go and let me know how you get on.
If you’re a hot chocolate lover check out our review of the Hotel Chocolat Velvetiser.
This article contains affiliate links. Please see our disclosure notice for further information.