It’s made by Nespresso, it looks great, makes fabulous coffee and has a built-in milk frother. On the face of it the Citiz and Milk coffee machine has a lot going for it. And at under £200 ($275) the price point makes it a good option for the coffee lover who wants a premium product without splashing out mega bucks on a barista machine.
Which all sounds fabulous. But is it all sweetness and light? Is the actual machine as good as it seems or are there downsides behind the glitz and glam? Let’s get down and dirty in our Nespresso Citiz and Milk coffee machine review and see if this nice-looking appliance really delivers on what it promises.
The Citiz and Milk allows you to easily and conveniently create an array of coffee drinks from the comfort of your own home. With a lot of features to get excited about, making your morning cuppa has never been so much fun.
In our review, we’ll be looking at if this really is such a great appliance and whether you should consider switching how you make your frothy coffees.
What is the Nespresso Citiz and Milk coffee machine?
The Nespresso Citiz and Milk is a pod machine. It uses capsules filled with coffee and high-pressure water to create the perfect drink every time. It comes in a choice of colours to match your kitchen and is able to make a huge selection of beverages, making it incredibly versatile.
There are a few things straight off the bat that makes this coffee machine stand out from the crowd. The first is obvious. It’s a Nespresso product. They are a premium brand with a well-earned reputation for quality and reliability. A brand name isn’t always a guarantee of quality but Nespresso generally does deliver on their hype.
Another big plus is the attached Aeroccino milk frother. Nespresso’s milk frothers really are a cut above and the clever way the frother is integrated with the pod machine really elevates the entire ensemble. It gives the Nespresso Citiz and Milk the functionality of a barista coffee machine without the cost. Speaking of which.
At around £200 ($275) this machine may seem a little on the costly side but in my opinion is excellent value for money. The frother itself is around £90 ($123) then add in the cost of the coffee machine itself and you can see this is a decent value appliance and it is the best priced of the different Nespresso coffee machines.
Nespresso Citiz and Milk coffee machine review – in a nutshell
What we like
- It’s very easy to use with two programmable buttons and automatic flow-stop. Anyone will soon be turning out excellent cups of coffee.
- The compact design with the milk frother cleverly integrated onto the stand means it doesn’t take up much room on the counter top.
- It just looks so good. It’s a bit of a showstopper.
- It’s very energy efficient using around 60% less energy that ‘A’ rated appliances.
- You can make a massive range of different coffees.
- So convenient to use. Much less messing about than other types of coffee machines.
- It’s fast. Switch on and it’s ready to use in 25 seconds. Pop in a pod, froth your milk and you’re done. No measuring, grinding, tamping, extracting or anything else.
- The built-in milk frother is one of the best on the market.
- Nespresso uses sustainably sourced coffee in their pods.
What don’t we like
- It’s a pod machine. Its strength is also a weakness. It doesn’t matter how many A List Hollywood celebrities tell us how brilliant the coffee is, it will never replicate the freshness of just ground beans.
- The cost per cup can work out more expensive than other types of coffee. There are of course other brands you can try but Nespresso pods are priced at a premium.
- Only delivers one shot of espresso and the lungo may not be enough for a long drink. You may have to double pod which of course makes the drink even more expensive.
- If you like strong coffee the Nespresso pods may not have enough depth for you. This is subjective and not really part of the machine itself but the flavour of the final coffee won’t be as intense compared to fresh espresso from a bean to cup coffee machine. But, if like me, you prefer a slightly milder taste this won’t be an issue.
- Urban smart design: An intuitive, user-friendly and award-winning compact design, which both...
- Integrated milk frother: CitiZ&milk, with its built-in Aeroccino3 system, allows you to create...
- Functional: Two programmable buttons with automatic flow-stop for Espresso and Lungo coffees.
How do you use the Citiz and Milk coffee machine?
If you’ve never used a pod machine before, you might be concerned that the Nespresso will be overly complicated and take a lot of getting used to. But the opposite is true; this is a very user-friendly machine.
The machine features two program buttons that allow you to select the size / type of the drink; espresso or lungo. This activates the machine. Once you have done this, you will need to insert your chosen coffee pod and close the compartment. Now place your cup under the spout and press your chosen drink type again to confirm.
If you are using the attached milk frother, then you will need to fill this to the required level. There are two choices here depending on how much froth you want to create. You will then need to select the temperature, keeping in mind that the frother will take up to 80 seconds to heat when making hot foam.
What makes it better than a filter machine?
One of the main reasons that the Nespresso Citiz and Milk is so much better than a regular filter machine is that it is much more versatile. It uses the standard Nespresso capsules and there is a massive range of drinks available.
What’s more, since the patent for these pods is not owned by Nespresso, other manufacturers sell them in even more flavours and styles. Visit your local supermarket and you’ll find a huge range of Nespresso branded and compatible capsules to choose from.
A filter coffee machine only makes one type of drink and takes much longer to do this than The Nespresso Citiz and Milk Coffee Machine which creates your favourite drinks in well under a minute.
Is it better than an espresso maker?
If you only want to make espresso then an espresso machine would probably be your go-to appliance. However, if you want greater versatility, then the Citiz and Milk provides this for you.
In terms of performance, the Nespresso Citiz and Milk coffee machine is just as powerful as an espresso maker. It uses 19 bar pressure to force the water through the pods and out of the extraction spout which is comparable to some of the best barista coffee machines.
What are the best features of the Citiz and Milk machine?
This is so much more than just a pod coffee machine. It has a wide range of features that really make it stand out from the crowd.
- A choice of two drink sizes gives you more choices when it comes to which coffee you fancy.
- After 9 minutes of not being used, The Nespresso Citiz and Milk Coffee Machine automatically switches off to save energy and stay safe.
- The coffee machine takes just 25 seconds to heat up, giving you a quick cup of coffee without having to wait around.
- With 19 bar pressure, it is one of the most powerful appliances out there. If you want something that is comparable to even the best espresso machines, then this is it. The high pressure perfectly extracts the coffee resulting in a barista quality drink every time.
- We really love that the coffee machine boasts such a modern design. If you want to keep it on your kitchen worktop, it isn’t going to look out of place or be an eyesore.
- The attached milk frother both heats and froths milk allowing you to make an even more versatile range of drinks.
- A removable drip tray affords you more space if you want to make tall glass drinks.
- User friendly controls are easy to get used to and require no previous experience with a pod machine to understand.
Should I buy it?
We have fallen in love with the Nespresso Citiz and Milk and we know that, once you get your hands on one, you’re going to feel the same way. But what makes this such a worthwhile investment?
Well, for coffee lovers, this is probably the ultimate pod machine. It’s so easy to use, comes with a brilliant milk frother and let’s not lose sight of the fact that it makes a really good cup of coffee.
We also love the fact that it gives you the kind of versatility that you can’t get from other coffee makers. If you regularly entertain guests, having the ability to offer a selection that rivals the local cafe is a huge plus. You can buy it on Amazon here.
What’s in the box? *
- Nespresso Citiz and Milk coffee machine with integrated milk frother.
- Recipe booklet.
- Welcome set of 14 coffee pods.
*Contents may vary as different brands such as Dualit market the machine.
Let’s wrap things up
If you are looking for a coffee machine that is easy to use and gives you the opportunity to make an incredibly wide range of drinks then The Nespresso Citiz and Milk Coffee Machine is the answer. Nespresso is one of the most well-respected brands in the coffee world and so you can feel confident in the quality of this machine.
We think that the fast-heat up, automatic switch off and choice of drink sizes are among some of the best features. Overall, we’d say that this was a coffee machine worth getting excited about.Check the latest price on Amazon.
This article contains affiliate links. Please see our disclosure notice for further information.