In recent years, following a ketogenic diet, often just called a keto diet, has become incredibly popular. Coffee forms a component part of that diet. However, since this is an entirely different type of coffee to those that you might normally make, it is important to make sure that you use the right equipment, and this includes the best milk frother for keto coffee.
Generally speaking, a handheld milk frother will produce the best results, but there’s a lot more to know when making a keto coffee, so let’s take a closer look.
What is keto coffee?
The keto diet relies on a higher intake of fat and protein with minimal amounts of carbohydrates.
There are certain foods and drinks that cannot be consumed when following this diet and while some people do it for the health benefits, other people are prescribed this diet for things like diabetes.
Moreover, there have been several reports stating that the keto diet is also very effective in weight management and weight loss.
While it is possible to drink regular coffee on a keto diet, this doesn’t have as many benefits as going the whole hog and creating a keto coffee. These drinks have fatty components added to them which the liver breaks down into ketones.
As the body enters this renewed metabolic state, known as ketosis, it becomes much more effective at breaking down fat.
Typically, in a keto coffee, you would find additions such as butter and oil. It might sound a little odd at first, but this is a popular trend that is surprisingly tasty.
Is keto the same as bulletproof coffee?
We live in a world where there are several names for almost everything and this can get pretty confusing when you are trying to get yourself on the straight and narrow with your keto diet.
You will often hear about bulletproof coffee when following a keto diet and let us be the first to tell you that this is exactly the same as what is known as a keto coffee. The drink is loaded with fats and took its inspiration from Tibetan people who add yak’s milk to their tea.
A guy named David Asprey discovered this and paid particular attention to the way that those drinking the blend had much higher energy levels in the morning. Off the back of this, he decided to create his own version and so, the bulletproof coffee was born.
Why is keto so popular?
One of the main reasons that the keto diet has grown in popularity is that it has featured heavily on the social media pages of some of the world’s most influential celebrities. Gaining more and more traction, people got into the mindset of ‘if it works for them, it’ll work for me.’
Unlike many other fad diets, there have been several studies that have proven how successful ketogenic diets can be, when adhered to correctly.
What’s more, it has been shown to reduce issues with weight, diabetes and even Alzheimer’s disease. With so many health benefits, it is not surprising that so many people are jumping on the keto bandwagon.
What is the best frother to use for keto coffee?
The best option for frothing your milk when making a keto coffee is a handheld frother. These are very affordable and incredibly easy to use.
We particularly like this one from BonsenKitchen which features some easy to use functions such as one touch operation and an easy clean design. Moreover, while it may be a small device, it produces impressive, creamy froth that is perfect for a keto coffee.
However, there are other handheld frothers which will also do a great job of making Keto coffee.
Why frother should I buy?
At a glance: Best frothers for keto coffee
How to use your frother for keto coffee
When making a keto coffee, you will normally blend all of your main ingredients together apart from the milk. This needs to be frothed separately and added into the main mixture, in a similar way that you would with a regular cup of latte or cappuccino.
Using your milk frother to make a bulletproof coffee couldn’t be any simpler. Just pour your milk into a jug or other container and pop the handheld frother in, turn it on, and allow it to work its magic. You will see the milk begin to increase in volume although it is important not to overfill the jug to avoid spillages.
Keto coffee recipe with milk frother
The internet is littered with keto coffee recipes, each of which puts its own spin on how to make this hugely popular and healthy drink. But we think that the following is the most effective and tasty recipe.
Before you start, it is important to keep in mind that a keto coffee might not be the most appetising thing if it isn’t made correctly, so be sure to follow the steps carefully.
To get started, you will need:
- 2 cups of coffee.
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter.
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- 1 tablespoon of whipping cream (this is optional).
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (also optional).
- Frothed milk.
Step by step keto coffee
- Start by brewing two cups of coffee in the same way that you normally would. You should make sure that you pour it into a large container as this will help when it comes to blending it.
- Next, take your unsalted butter and coconut oil and place this into your blender. You can pop in your vanilla extract if you want to add a little extra flavour.
- If you are using heavy whipping cream, add this in last. This ingredient will give the coffee a very creamy texture but it isn’t essential and can be left out.
- Now blend this altogether in your blender for around 60 seconds. If you prefer, you can use your milk frother for this as well as frothing milk, it will have the same effect at making the mixture frothed and creamy.
- When you’re ready, pour the coffee into a cup and add your frothed milk, if you are using it. It is also important to keep in mind that since the keto diet requires high-fat products, whole milk is always the best option. What’s more, whole milk froths much better than other types and will maintain its structure for much longer.
This article contains affiliate links. Please see our disclosure notice for further information.