Handheld milk frothers are the easiest to use and most convenient of all frothers. And there are dozens of different models available. But when it comes to which are the best handheld milk frothers there are only four on the shortlist; Zulay Milk Boss, Bonsenkitchen, Aerolatte and Severin.
In this article we’ll review them all and deliver our verdict on which is the best handheld milk frother you can buy today along with more information on why you need one of these awesome little devices in your kitchen.
You can find the reviews further down the page. But first.
Why you should choose a handheld milk frother
They aren’t the sexiest of milk frothers. You can’t just press a button and chill for a couple of minutes after selecting one of thirteen different functions like you can on an automatic frother.
But, having said that, they more than make up for their basic functionality in ease of use, convenience, and versatility.
With a good quality handheld model (and we’ve picked the best four to review) you can make thick textured foam in around 30 seconds. And it’s so easy to do. Not only that.
They are so affordable. Even a premium priced hand frother comes in at around £15 ($20). It’s absolutely no money at all for what is a very effective little appliance and one which will probably last longer than an electrical equivalent. Remember these are battery operated devices.
Ok, easy to use and, in the grand scheme of things, very cheap. But what about versatility? Glad you asked.
These handy little devices can be used for loads of little jobs around the kitchen. After all, they are basically a powerful mini whisk. Use them for everything from making sauces to mixing cocktails. You can find out more in this article; What else can I use my milk frother for?
They are so useful and so good at frothing milk everyone should have a handheld milk frother in their kitchen drawer.
The best handheld milk frothers
Our top 4
A brief overview of each frother can be found below the table or follow the links within the table for our full review.
Zulay Milk Boss
- The original handheld milk frother.
- Available in different colours.
- Made from durable high-quality materials.
- Very sturdy device.
- Supplied with a stand for easy storage.
- Produces thick foam.
- Powerful 12,500rpm motor.
- Lifetime guarantee.
Well, here’s the answer to all your worries: The Zulay Milk Boss! Standing out with its bright colours and nifty design, this handheld milk frother is perfect for whipping up rich foam.
With its powerful motor capable of creating thick froth for espresso drinks like lattes and cappuccinos, it beats any other type of frother hands down. And you don’t have to worry about storage space since it comes with a cool stand that always keeps things tidy.
The powerful 12,500rpm motor turns milk into delicious foam quickly and easily while the durable materials ensure it lasts a lifetime. With vivid colours to choose from, you’re sure to find one that goes with your kitchen. The Lifetime Guarantee ensures that if anything should happen to your device Zulay will sort a replacement straight away.
This is my go-to frother when I need to whip up foam quickly. I wouldn’t be without it.Check its latest price on Amazon.
- Easy to use.
- Ergonomic design.
- Simple one-touch switch.
- Robust stainless-steel whisk and shaft.
- Lightweight but durable plastic body.
- Supplied with batteries.
I read a review in which the user said they couldn’t create foam with the Bonsenkitchen. I’ve no ideas what on earth they were doing. Making thick or delicate foam is so easy with this device. It only takes 30-40 seconds, and it really tops off your latte or cappuccino. A
I’m using this frother in the video below where I demonstrate how to use a handheld milk frother. And it really does do a great job.
It has an ergonomic design, is easy to hold and features a user-friendly one-touch switch, all you must do is pick up this powerful whisk to achieve stunning results.
A lightweight but robust body means it’s also durable enough for any kitchen environment while coming in at an incredibly low price.Check its latest price on Amazon.
- Incredible value for money.
- Very robust.
- Made from high-quality materials.
- Convenient press switch.
- Powerful 11,500rpm motor.
- Soft-touch plastic body.
It also comes at a great price- much less expensive than comparable products on the market.
The Severin S73590 is an absolute showstopper when it comes to value for money and has everything you could ever want in a frother—robustness, high-quality materials, longevity; the list goes on.
This isn’t a small appliance you’re going to use just once and forget about.
Severin of course have a great reputation for supplying reliable and good quality kitchen appliances. Although they no longer make their frothers in Germany they ensure their factories in the far east manufacture their products to their exacting standards.Check its latest price on Amazon.
Aerolatte milk frother
- Ideal for whipping up everything from frothy milk to omelettes.
- Spiral whisking head and shaft are made from 18/8 stainless steel.
- Include pre-installed batteries.
- Robust plastic body.
- Reliable long-lasting motor.
You can make better-tasting lattes, cold coffees, whipped cream, and omelettes with the Aerolatte milk frother. Treat yourself to a world of fluffy cappuccinos that you didn’t even know was possible to do at home.
Easy to use, easy to clean and is always one of the top sellers. Aerolatte have sold thousands of these little marvels.
Criticisms I have of the Aerolatte is that it doesn’t produce a great deal of power and soon drains its batteries. Unlike the Milk Boss and Bonsenkitchen frothers it soon loses its power.
It also doesn’t feel quite as robust as the other three frothers we’ve reviewed.Check its latest price on Amazon.
How to use a handheld milk frother
I’ve already said a couple of times how easy it is to use a handheld milk frother. So, I guess it’s time I backed that up.
If you haven’t used one of these nifty little appliances before you’ll be amazed how easy it is to create a rich foam texture. And it only takes around 30 seconds. I demonstrate the technique in the video below but if you prefer a step-by-step list here goes.
1 – Place the whisk head into the milk. DON’T switch the frother on before you put it in the milk, or you’ll have a tidal wave of milk flying through the area. They may be small, but these are powerful devices.
2 – Making sure the whisk head is in the milk press and hold the switch. This starts the whisk.
3 – Gently move the whisk around keeping the head just below the top layer of milk.
4 – After about 20 seconds you’ll notice the milk beginning to foam and thicken.
5 – After 30-40 seconds you should have a rich texture of foam.
6 – Turn off the frother and remove the whisk head from the milk. NEVER remove the frother while it’s still switched on or once again, you’ll be covered in milk.
7 – Wait a few seconds and tap the container of milk against the countertop to settle the froth.
And that’s it. To clean the frother and get it ready to use again simply hold it under running water for a few seconds, shake excess water from the whisk head and wipe the stainless-steel shaft down with a cloth.
I told you it was easy. You can see this in the video below.
Pros and cons of handheld milk frothers
I’ve been very positive about handheld milk frothers so far. So, let’s round up the good points and look at the downsides. Well, you didn’t think it would be good news, did you? But let’s start with the good stuff.
What I like
- Very easy to use.
- Great value for money – a premium frother will set you back less than £15 ($20).
- Easy to clean.
- Can be used for other jobs in the kitchen.
- Cheap to run (powered by batteries).
- No storage issues – your frother will easily fit into a drawer.
What I don’t like
- If you have arthritis or weak wrists you will find a handheld frother uncomfortable. In your case you should go for an electric milk frother.
- Not automatic – you must do some work.
- You must heat up the milk separately – by comparison an automatic frother will both heat and foam your milk.
- If you leave the batteries in, they can leak if you don’t use the device regularly.
- If the batteries run out and you don’t have spares, you’re pretty much stuck.
Who should buy one?
To be honest I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t buy a handheld milk frother. Even if you just use it to add a bit of oomph to your instant coffee it’s well worth keeping one in the kitchen cupboard.
But, if you’re a coffee lover, you should get one. I have a barista coffee machine with built-in frother but when I want speed and convenience, I reach for my trusty Milk Boss. Even if you already have an automatic frother I would highly you keep a handheld model handy. I use mine all the time.
This week’s best-selling handheld milk frothers
We’ve recommended our top four frothers, and I’ve owned them all at some time, and still have a Milk Boss and Bonsenkitchen that I use regularly. But if you want to see what else is available on Amazon, we’ve listed the best-selling frothers below. This list is updated every day.
- Embrace your inner barista and froth up lattes, mochas and milkshakes with this handy milk...
- At the touch of a button, its stainless steel coil whips warm milk or cream into a delicious...
- It's not just a coffee frother - use it as a mini electric whisk for egg whites, salad...
- ☕【Premium Quality Milk Frother】The detachable whisking head is made of high quality...
- ☕【Multifunctional Electric Whisk】There are 2 versatile whisking heads available. The...
- ☕【USB Rechargeable Milk Frother】 The handheld milk frother is powered by the built-in...
- Make Rich, Creamy Froth In Seconds: We coffee lovers are serious when it comes to our coffee....
- Matcha Whisking, Coffee & More: Works better than a manual matcha whisk for making matcha tea...
- Proven and Trusted Quality: We use only premium materials. The construction will last, backed...
- BEST MILK FROTHER - Make your milk frothy & creamy using our electric milk whisk in just 30...
- DOUBLE SPRING HEAD WHISK - With a double spring head whisk can froth a LARGE amount of HOT...
- HANDHELD MILK FROTHER - Not just a cappuccino milk frother steamer. It's perfect for egg...
- Multiple Whisking Speeds: 3 Speed allow you to choose the proper whisking speed to froth milk,...
- Fast To Get Creamy Froth With Great Power: Equipped with an innovative, super premium motor,...
- USB Rechargeable: With built-in rechargeable battery 1200mAh and usb port, the electric whisk...
This article contains affiliate links. Please see our disclosure notice for further information.